Keep fit in Norfolk this Spring
Published: Thursday 15th Mar 2018
Written by: Georgia Dawson
This time of year can prove difficult when it comes to getting fit and healthy after the dark, cold months. However, now the Winter has passed and Spring is here, what better time to pop on a pair of trainers and get active. Below are some ideas to help you feel refreshed and rejuvenated this Spring:
1. Walk the dog (or run!)Taking the dog for a walk or a run is a brilliant way to get active this Spring. Pop on some trainers and head to the local field, park, beach or woods. Your dog will love it as much as you.
2. Go for a hikePop on a pair of boots and head to some hills or mountains. Not only are they beautiful to look at (you may want to bring a camera and take some photographs!), but you'll also feel on top of the world. Why not bring some friends along for company and make a day of it. Alternatively, join a walking club and encourage each other up the steeper slopes.
3. ParkrunParkruns are a fantastic way to improve and maintain your fitness. They are non-competitive 5km runs, located all over the country. They are free to join, however registration is required prior to your first ever parkrun. The runs take place in Blicking Park, Abbey Meadows in Thetford, Countryside Park in Brundall, Gorleston Cliffs near Great Yarmouth, Sheringham Park and Holkham Hall, amongst various other places around Norfolk. The runs take place every Saturday at 9am - just try not to get distracted by your stunning surroundings!
4. YogaYoga is known for leaving people feeling relaxed, at peace and able to take on whatever is thrown their way. Why not try a yoga class - there are plenty to choose from all over Norfolk. Alternatively, if you're feeling a little more confident, head to the local park or beach for some yoga and clear your mind of everyday stresses.
5. GoodGym runsOrganised by GoodGym Norwich, why not participate in a run that also helps the community. Meeting at the Forum at 6:15pm every Monday, you begin with a warm-up before running as a group to each week's task. If there's enough time, you can take part in a little fitness session before arriving back at The Forum for roughly 8pm. It's completely free to take part and no-one gets left behind. Below are a list of the runs coming up soon:
- Helping Out John Drake House Youth HostelMonday 19th March0.75km each wayAt John Drake House Youth Hostel, you will be doing some potential weeding and general helping out. The main aim at John Drake House is to help young people recovery from crisis.
- Book Sorting At OxfamMonday 26th March1km each wayAt Oxfam, you'll be sorting through books as well as other little jobs for the charity shop.
- Gardening At Grapes Hill Community GardenMonday 2nd April1km each wayAt Grapes Hill Community Garden, you will be doing some gardening activites and litter picking.
- Cleaning Inside Hayden CourtMonday 9th April1.6km each wayAt Hayden Court, you will be helping to improve the cleanliness of the residential home.
- Helping Out At The Great HospitalMonday 16th April1.6km each wayThis week, you'll be helping to maintain Norwich's oldest hospital.
Exploring Norfolk? Be our guest.